The apple scrap vinegar we started a week or two ago seems to be progressing just fine. (After all these disasters we had, I am honestly surprised and relieved!) It’s fizzing a little and perfuming its cabinet with pleasant appley-vinegary smells. This is what it looked like to begin with and then after a week in the dark:
Then it was time to take out the fruit chunks. We got about half a jar’s worth of liquid. It looks kind of like weak apple cider.
Now it’s going to sit in the dark some more for another 2-3 weeks. I’ll stir it every so often and when it’s “strong enough” (I’m really nervous about having to taste it) I’ll filter and bottle it.
Apparently the process can still go downhill fast if the wrong kinds of molds and yeasts and bacteria get to it (like it did over at Year Without Groceries). It’s kind of nerve-wracking because it’s all left up to chance. I just keep reminding myself that this experiment cost me nothing except a bit of honey – it’s just water and apple peels after all!